Oak Ridge National Laboratory – Grid Research Integration and Deployment Center
ORNL’s mission at GRID-C is to develop technological solutions to advance the dynamic and efficient interaction of the electric delivery system, buildings, and vehicles. The unique, multipurpose research environment at GRID-C is available to industry, academic, and government partners who wish to access its state-of-the-art capabilities and world-class expertise to mutually develop innovative technologies for grid security, resilience, and reliability.
The Grid Research Integration and Deployment Center (GRID-C) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory combines multiple electrification research activities across the utility, buildings, and vehicle space into one 52,000 sq. ft. facility. The combination of innovative research and development in power and energy systems, vehicle and buildings science, power electronics, energy storage, sensors and controls, data science and modeling, and cybersecurity enables breakthroughs to support a resilient and secure power grid from the first instant of electricity generation to end use.
Specific lab and testing activities and facilities within the GRID Center include:
(1) Grid Operations and Analytics Laboratory - Cyber-physical security, sensors, modeling, and data analytics testbed for simulating control room operations
(2) Grid Systems Integration Laboratory - Hybrid AC-DC systems, Microgrids, distributed energy testing and simulation, and energy storage integration research, real-time platforms for simulations
(3) Buildings-to-Grid Laboratory - Home and neighborhood emulation, transactive controls, and grid integration test beds
(4) Transmission Grid Lab - High- to low-voltage test beds for low-cost trusted transmission and distribution power electronics, transformers, and protective relay testing.
- Component and Power testing
- Control Systems Engineering Support
- Generating Testing
- High Performance Computing (HPC)
- Microgrid Testing
- Operational Modeling
- Power take-off Testing
Point of Contact:
Mirko Musa - firstname.lastname@example.org