Department of Ocean Engineering, University of Rhode Island – Numerical Modeling & Analysis
- Fluid-Structure Interaction
- Ocean/Wave Modeling
- Power Electronics Simulations
URI has a team of experts who can assist the Marine and Hydrokinetic (MHK) industry in various areas of Numerical Modeling & Analysis:
- Wave and tide ocean resource characterization using regional ocean models, including ADCIRC (Advanced CIRCulation model), ROMS (Regional Ocean Modeling System), SWAN (Simulating Waves Nearshore), COAWST (Coupled ADCIRC-SWAN), STWAVE (Steady State WAVE), FUNWAVE, NHWAVE (Non-Hydrostatic WAVE), and TELEMAC-TOMAWAC-SYSYPHE.
- Multi-fidelity simulation of fluid-structure interactions using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), multiphysics software, and floating body dynamics. Expertise in CFD modeling of wave/current generated hydrodynamic fields around floating and fixed objects. Some of the models include OpenFOAM, DualSPHysics (Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics), Lattice Boltzmann (Lagrangian CFD solver), OpenFAST, and in-house Boundary Element Method (BEM) models, as well as HAMS (Ham Hydro Community Interest Company).
- Numerical wave tank simulations using various facilities, including a fully nonlinear wave model of the large wave tank and 3-D Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) and OpenFOAM models of the wave-current flume.
- Development of Digital Twins for MHK devices. URI team has several years of experience in development of DTs for fixed and floating devices.
- The URI Electrical, Computer, and Biomedical Engineering Department houses a dedicated Power Electronics Lab (PEL) that focuses on Power Electronics (PE) research and simulations. PEL specializes in high-performance power conversion systems (PCS) for various applications, including e-mobility, undersea storage, wireless power transfer, and energy transfer of ocean renewable energy. PEL is capable of conducting simulations at all levels, including systems, power electronics modules, and components. Additionally, they have schematic and printed circuit board (PCB) drawing programs installed.
Point of Contact:
M Reza Hashemi – email@example.com